• The door slowly creaks open, revealing the mere outline of a shadowy figure...

    "Hello there....." The man steps inside and lets the door swing closed behind him, then brushes off his arms, droplets of water falling to soak the dusty, wooden floor. Crossing the room, he refrains from lowering his hood, preferring to keep his face hidden in the dim tavern light. Taking a seat at the bar, he turns to see you sitting there. "Greetings! Do lend an ear, stranger! I have stories the likes of you would never imagine!" he says, his voice like silk that would entice even the most stubborn of attentions. From beneath his robes, he produces a large tome and lays it on the bar, turning to the first page. You find yourself enthralled by the man, your fear of his appearance overcome with curiosity. Just what secrets did he hold, and what secrets will he divulge? The fireplace crackles  behind you as you pull up a chair to listen...

The small group ran towards the docks as the sound of battle echoed behind them. With Ryu still in his half dragon form, Nydra was having trouble keeping him from falling. The two struggled to run down the path as the thundering steps of the larger dragons boomed next to them.
            It was hard not to see them coming. It was as if three houses were converging on the small ship and the crew ran for their lives, grabbing guns or whatever they could find. The captain ordered that the ship be released from the docks as the dragons neared, trying to escape with his job intact. He was surprised, however, when the three dragons disappeared, leaving four young girls on his deck, standing around a rather large, red beast. The crew slowly inched forward from all sides as the girls tried to wake the unconscious beast, but it was useless.
            “Ryu! Wake up! Stay with us!” Nydra yelled, but it was no use. He was barely breathing as it was.
            “I can’t breathe…”

            She woke, struggling for breath. The wind blew in a torrent, threatening to even strip her bare, so she clutched what little rags she had left. It was hard to breathe. She couldn’t tell if it was because the intense wind was stealing her breath, or if there was just no air for her to breathe. The last thing she remembered was standing in a creek, and she became cold and wet.

            “I can’t remember…”

            She still couldn’t tell where she was. She could tell that she was moving, but to where or how was above her. There wasn’t a horse alive that could travel this fast, and she even began to wonder if this was what it was to cross over to the other side. To die and travel to the great beyond. She wondered of this was the last test before being judged, whether or not she could survive the journey.

            “I can’t hold on…”

            She held on for her life and it took her a moment to discover what she actually held on to. It was solid, like bone, and the sound of something flapping cut through the roar of the wind. Things suddenly cleared, as the white fog lifted, or rather, the cloud raised above their heads as the dragon dropped below it, soaring high above the countryside.

            “I can’t believe this…”

            “What’s going on?” she gasped. The dragon remained silent as he flew even lower. “Where are we going?”
            “Despite popular belief, lass, dragons do have a conscience.” He said, “Mine prevented me from leaving you to the wolves.”
            “Wolves? There were no wolves!”
            “Aye, they were. In the bushes, afraid of me. They didn’t want to become dinner as they were searching for their own.”
            “You saved me then…” she muttered, “Thank you dragon.”
            “Dragons also have names, lass.” He said, “Although we cannot say them openly because of the curse.”
            “I know of the curse.” She muttered, “I thought it was a myth.”
            “It’s no myth.” He said, “It’s very real, lass.”
            “And my name isn’t lass.” She said, “My name is Myaan.”
            “I see.” He said.
            “So what should I call you, dragon?” she asked as they landed. He folded his wings as the neared a small cottage. Smoke poured from a tiny chimney as the sound of chopping came from behind it.
            “Call me what you will.” He said, “But he can help you, not I.”
            “What will you do now?” she asked, climbing down, “Where will you go?”
            “Actually, I’m living around this area at the moment, lass.” He said, “You may see me around.”
            “Would you come visit me?” she shyly asked.
            “You can’t be serious?” he snorted, “Why would you want to see me again?”

            “I can’t see you again..?”

            “You’re different.” She said, “You’re not like the others. You’re kind.”
            “You are serious, aren’t you, lass?” he asked with narrowed eyes, “Are you sure?”
            “Yes. I want to see you again.” Her eyes swelled with tears as the dragon looked at her warily.
            “Who’s yer friend, Ryu?” came a voice from behind. The dragon lifted his head to look at the old man holding his axe on his shoulder.
            “Drake, this is Myaan.” He said, “Can you tend to her wounds, old man?”
            “Aye, that I can.” He said, “What of you? Going to stick around fer a bit? Just hauled about a dozen braces of rabbits this morning. Care for a few?”
            “Not hungry.” He said, “I’m going home.”
            “Wait!” she cried, “Why does he call you Ryu?”
            “I had a son named Ryu once, lass.” Drake said, “Tore me up inside when he died. This dragon found me on that mountain o’er yonder, wantin’ to kill me self. Convinced me to live, he did.”
            “I’m sorry about your son.” She said, “But why call this dragon with the same name as your son?”
            “Cause he reminded me of him.” Drake said, “Wantin’ to always be alone, doing his own thing. Never could turn away from those who needed help, though. He was noble, like this dragon ere’”
            “I see.” She muttered, “You’ll come back and see me again, won’t you Ryu?”
            “We shall see, lass.” He said, turning to leave.
            “I’ll wait here to see you again!” She yelled.
           
            “I can’t wait to see you again…Ryu.”

            She awoke with a start in the darkened room. The dream of the ragged girl was still fresh in her mind as she rubbed her eyes. She thought it was late, because even Michelle had gone home for the day. Wiping a tear from her face she rolled over and gasped when she saw a dark figure standing in the window, staring out at the full moon. He turned to look back at her and stared from under the brim of his hat as he pulled his trench coat around him. Even from this distance, she could smell the stench of cigarettes off of him.
            “W-Who are you?” she stammered in the darkness. He didn’t move, but in the soft moonlight she could see his faint smile.
            “I am truly sorry Rosette.” He said, “For everything. I think you should know. It’s all my fault.”
            “What?”
            “We’ve met before.” He said, “Or have the drugs clouded your judgment?”
            “Detective Gantz? What do you mean it’s all your fault?” she asked, pulling the sheets closer around her.
            “I was the one who told him about Ryu.” He said, “I was collecting information on you two for him. I thought I needed money, but it turns out I was just being greedy.”
            “What are you saying?” She asked, “Told who?”
            “I don’t really know his name and I didn’t ask because he paid cash.” He said, “He always wore a white suit, though. Well, whenever I could get a good look at him. Carried a cane too.” The memory of the white haired man and his dragon shaped cane flashed in her mind.
            “Him?! You told him about us? About him?!” she yelled. The heart monitor quickened its beat.
            “Yes I did and I am sorry.”
            “It’s your fault he’s gone! It’s your fault I’m like this!” she yelled. Again the monitor’s rate quickened.
            “Yes it is. I want to make up for it, even if there is no way.” He said, “Is there anything I can do?”
            “What can you do now?” she snapped, “I think you’ve done enough.”
            “I told you this because I don’t want to hide from this anymore. I just can’t pretend that dragons don’t exist. I want to be a part of it all!” he exclaimed, “I want to set things right.”
            “What is right anyway?” she asked, “Is it right that they have to hide because we are afraid? Is it right that they suffer to make us more comfortable?”
            “No it’s not.” He muttered, “It’s not right at all.”
            “So what can you do to set things right?” she asked, “How can you change that?”
            “You know humans already have a history of prejudice against those who are different. It took time, but eventually things changed and now we live peacefully, granted that it’s not gone completely. We just need time, and that’s something they have.”
            “They’ve been living like this for thousands of years!” she said, “That is unfair!”
            “’The journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step’ Rosette. The only problem is that no one has taken that first step yet. You two may be the first ones to make that footprint. If so, then I’ll be the one to follow in your footsteps, right behind you.”
            “Why did you do it?” she sniffed. The heart monitor began to return to normal and she wiped away a tear, “Why did you tell him?”
            “Money is a temptation to everyone, Rosette. Sometimes the only way to avoid temptation is to give into it.” He said, “I’m not asking for forgiveness, Rosette. I just want to know what I should do from here.”
            “I don’t know.” She squeaked, “I just don’t know.”
            “Maybe we’re both looking at this too closely.” He said, turning back to the window. This time the moonlight hit his face and she could make out his somber expression, “Maybe we need to step back and look at the big picture. I have faith in Ryu. He will be back. It’s the matter of what will happen once he does that we have to address.”
            “What do you mean? Won’t things go back to the way they were?” she asked.
            “But is that enough? Is that right?” he asked, turning away from the window, “Is it fair to them if they have to hide who they are again?”
            “What are you saying?”
            “When Ryu comes back, he’ll have to hide again and will be in trouble if and when he can’t. It shouldn’t be like that. No one should have to hide who they are.” He said, “I want to help change that.”
            “What can you do?”
            “Well, I can talk to the mayor.” He said, “But what do you think he would say if I go into his office saying that dragons are real and walk among us?”
            “I see.” She said, “He would think you’re crazy.”
            “Exactly, and with no proof, that’s exactly what he would think.” He said, “From what I heard, his sisters went to look for him so who else could come with me for proof? And it’s not exactly clear what he would do in the first place. He could have the police force hunt them all down or worse.”
            “You want to prove to the mayor that dragons exist?” she asked, “I don’t know about this.”
            “Nothing will change if you’re too scared to do anything.” He said.
            “But something like this wouldn’t just stop with the mayor! If this gets out, it’ll go world wide! Not every person in power will have the same reaction to this! What if the world is crawling with dragons living in secret?” she cried. Gantz smiled.
            “But, what if some of those in power are secretly dragons themselves?” he asked, “We don’t know, that’s the point. Things have been stalled like this for thousands of years. Isn’t it time to finally put this transition in motion and see how it plays out?”
            “I still think it’s too dangerous to be doing this.” She said, “We don’t know for sure what will happen.”
            “We never do, no matter what we decide. If we do nothing it may still get out, and it could be worse. At least this way we have some control over it.” He said. Rosette pulled a tissue from the bed stand and wiped her eyes.
            “You’re right. I don’t think Ryu or his sisters will understand, but he trusts me. I think we should do this, but how can we convince the mayor?”
            The two remained silent in the darkness of the hospital room, trying to think, when the slight aroma of flowers began to float around the room.
            “Did your friends bring those flowers to you?” he asked, gesturing to the vase on the desk. Rosette nodded.
            “June thought I would like roses because of my name.” she sniffed, “I like them.”
            “They smell great.” He said, turning back to the window. Rosette nodded, then furrowed her brow when something didn’t add up.
            “Those flowers are fake.” She said, “You’re not allowed to bring scented products into this wing of the hospital.”
            “Then what’s that smell?” he asked turning to her. Rosette sniffed.
            “I can’t smell anything.” She said, “I’m all stuffed up from crying.”
            “It’s getting stronger.” He said, “How can you not smell those roses?!”
            “The smell of roses?” she muttered, “That means she’s still here!”
            “Who?” he asked. Rosette peered over the edge of the bed and smiled when she saw two green eyes staring back at her from her hiding spot behind the bed. Even in the dark room, she could still see Flora shaking.
            “It’s alright.” Rosette said, “You can come out.”
            “Who is it?” Gantz asked, trying to get a look. Flora slowly stood up, clutching Rosette’s hospital gown, trying to hide behind her.
            “Well hello!” Gantz said with a smile, “And who might you be?”
            “Detective Gantz, this is Flora. Flora this is Mr. Gantz.” Rosette said.
            “Hello, Flora.” He said holding out his hand, Flora stayed by Rosette’s side.
            “Hi.” She squeaked.
            “Flora is very shy and she’s very young.” Rosette said, “She said she’d be turning twenty two this year. Isn’t that right Flora?” Gantz dropped his jaw when Flora quietly nodded and he stared at Rosettes calm smile. She was serious.
            “Y-You mean this young girl is a….” he stammered.
            “Yes. She’s a dragon too.” Rosette said.
            “Really? Then this changes everything.”

            The island became but a speck on the horizon as the ship headed for the mainland. The crew milled about, doing their own business, when one stopped when he noticed the young girl in a pair of janitor’s overalls, staring out over the aft railing, towards the island where they had just come. Even from here you could still see smoke rising from the small dot on the horizon. The crewman’s first impulse was to talk to her, but after everything that was happening, he decided against it. It wasn’t because he was afraid, but rather because he didn’t want to get more involved that they all were already.
            “You’re still waiting for him?” Jessica asked. Nydra turned to see her leaning against a crate with her arms crossed against her chest. All she could do was stare at the deck.
            “He will come back.” She said, “I just can’t believe that he would die!”
            “I wouldn’t worry, Nydra.” She said with a smile, “I don’t think you can really kill death anyway. It would be like trying to drown you.”
            “But I can’t swim!” she exclaimed, “It’s pathetic, I know.”
            “But you can breathe underwater, right?”
            “Yes.” She muttered.
            “Then swimming isn’t that hard once you’re under water.” Jessica said, “You just push the water away from where you want to go.”
            “It’s not that!” she said, “I just don’t like water.” Jessica tried to stifle a laugh.
            “But you are water!” she said, “How can you not like water?”
            “Water is cold and heavy when you go down deep.” She said, “It’s like a crushing weight that wants to chill you to the bone. It makes me feel even more lonely than usual.”
            “You haven’t been to a hot spring, have you?” She said with a smile, “I think you would like that.”
            “A what?”
            “We should take a trip to Japan sometime. They have hot springs there that you can bathe in. It’s like heaven!” Jessica said with a smile. Neither of them noticed the dark shadow on the water’s surface behind the ship.
            “I would like to go, if we could all go.” She said, “I think Grim would like something like that too.”
            “Don’t worry. He’ll be back.” Jessica said. She paused for a moment as her eyes darted upwards over Nydra’s head, and her face went white. Nydra saw her expression and slowly turned to stare into darkness.
            She had to back away to fully see what she was looking at. Behind her stood a tall, dark figure wearing a black cloak. It’s hood was pulled up, hiding it’s face in the darkness. Nydra felt cold just looking at it, and her heart jumped into her throat when she saw the leathery wings behind him, and the dark scythe in his hand. She tried to back away and run, but her legs wouldn’t work anymore. She tried to scream, but she didn’t have the breath. She was frozen in place as the demon stepped forward, shakily at first, then stopped, taking a knee in front of her and laying his scythe on the deck.
            “S-Sorry I’m late.” He said. Nydra breathed a sigh of relief and rushed to his side, with Jessica looking on in confusion.
            “Grim! You scared me!” she cried.
            “I’m sorry.” He muttered, “It took me a while to fight him.”
            “So did you win?” Jessica asked.
            “Not exactly.”
            “What does that mean?” she asked.
            “His magic is strong. I couldn’t do much to him.” he said, “He trapped me with some weird spell and took off after you guys.”
            “You mean he’s on his way here?” Jessica exclaimed, “Now?”
            “No. I stopped him. Kind of.”
            “Now what does that mean?”
            “The only way I could escape from his magic, and stop him from leaving, was to open the gates to hell and take him there.”
            “WHAT?” Nydra exclaimed, “You’re joking right?”
            “No. I’m not.” He said, “But he will find his way back, eventually.”
            “You mean you literally went to hell and back to fight him for us?” Nydra asked, “Why?”
            “I think you know why.” He said. She could see his red eyes glow from under his hood for a moment then they faded again, “You people are my friends. The only friends I’ve ever had.”
            “So are you okay?” Nydra asked, “Are you hurt?”
            “I will not lie.” He said, “I am quite injured, but you needn’t worry about me.”
            “It’s my right to worry!” Nydra said, “Let me help you!”
            “You shouldn’t get too close.” He said, “I’ve just been past the demonic gates of hell and was exposed to the essence of evil. That is why I wear this cloak now and take this form like Ryu. The cloak will protect others from this curse.”
            “I-Is this permanent?” Nydra stammered, her eyes filling with tears.
            “No, the evil essence will eventually wear off, and I will be fine then.” He said, “Do not worry about me.”
            “But how can I treat you if I can’t touch you?” she asked. Grim stood up, taking his scythe with him.
            “I will be fine.” He said, “Let’s go see how Ryu is doing.”

His hollow breathes could be heard from the top of the stairs as they made their way into the cargo hold. Even there, the crew members milled around, trying to avoid going near the corner where the loud noises were coming from. It was Jessica who stepped off the bottom step first, followed by Nydra. It was when the crew spotted the person behind them that panic began to break out.
The crew member who first saw him dropped his toolbox and ran, making his tools skitter across the bare metal deck and attracting the attention of everyone else in the massive room. There was a screech from the other side of the cargo hold, and Sparcy began yelling.
“He’s not dead yet! You can’t take him!” she screamed, “Leave us alone!”
“Pardon me?” Grim muttered. His voice was rather raspy and he cleared his throat, but Sparcy didn’t catch on.
“I don’t care if you are the Reaper! You’re not taking my brother!” she yelled.
“Sparcy, what are you talking about?” Jessica asked, but the shock on Sparcy’s face wouldn’t go away.
“You can’t tell me you don’t see the Reaper standing behind you!” she yelled, “He’s come here for Ryu! He will live!”
“Of course he will!” Nydra said, “And that’s not the Reaper, who ever he is. That’s Grim.”
“What?” Sparcy muttered, her face went white.
“That’s just Grim so calm down.” Jessica said.
“Oh I see.” She said, turning red, “Sorry.”
“I’m sorry if I scared you.” Grim muttered, “I can’t help it at the moment.”
“Why are you dressed like that?” She asked.
“Well this is what a trip to hell can do.”
“Just because you had a hard time doesn’t mean you have to dress like that!” she said. His hood shook back and forth.
“You don’t understand.” He said, “I had to take Merlin to hell so he wouldn’t follow us for the moment.”
“You really went to hell? I mean for real? The place actually exists?” She gasped.
“I’ve been over this before with Nydra.” He said, “Yes it does. Now how is Ryu?”
“I don’t know.” She said, “He’s not waking up.”
“And where is the other one?” he asked.
Crystal wandered off somewhere and hasn’t come back.” She said, “I’m worried about her too. After what Merlin said, I think things are going to be hard for us.”

Categories:

0 Response for the "Dragonkin - Chapter 22: A Shattered Past"

Post a Comment