• The door slowly creaks open, revealing the mere outline of a shadowy figure...

    "Hello there....." The man steps inside and lets the door swing closed behind him, then brushes off his arms, droplets of water falling to soak the dusty, wooden floor. Crossing the room, he refrains from lowering his hood, preferring to keep his face hidden in the dim tavern light. Taking a seat at the bar, he turns to see you sitting there. "Greetings! Do lend an ear, stranger! I have stories the likes of you would never imagine!" he says, his voice like silk that would entice even the most stubborn of attentions. From beneath his robes, he produces a large tome and lays it on the bar, turning to the first page. You find yourself enthralled by the man, your fear of his appearance overcome with curiosity. Just what secrets did he hold, and what secrets will he divulge? The fireplace crackles  behind you as you pull up a chair to listen...

Chapter 26: Love Conquers All 

            Ryu saw the light too, even though he was practically on the other side of the lake. She softly treaded on wet grass like a fairy as she stepped forward, still emitting a dazzling light that no one could divert their eyes from. She stood still dressed in a loose hospital gown, same as before, and blankly stared across the lake as if unaware of her actions. Nydra had just pulled Ryu onto the nearby shore, but he was too mesmerized by the light to move.
            Everyone gasped as they heard a deafening roar from across the lake and a pilliar of flame erupt into the night sky. Within seconds the air became turbulent as the huge red dragon carefully set down in front of the glowing maiden and his rage was quelled by her graceful touch.
            “Rosette…”
            “Don’t worry. I’m here now.” She said, “Everything’s going to be alright.”
            “I was so scared.” He said, hanging his head, “I thought he had killed you!”
            “I’m fine. Cheer up.” She said with a smile. She hugged his head close to her face and he closed his eyes in comfort, losing himself in their own little world and totally ignoring everyone else.
            “I never want to lose you.” He said, “Not ever. Stay with me forever!”
            “I want to stay with you forever, Ryu.” She said, “I want us to be happy.”
            “I’ll only be happy with you.” He said.
            “Then I’ll be here to make you happy.” She said, “Always.”

            The scene was so touching, yet also such a distraction. Merlin had took this chance to start a silent spell that took quite a while to cast and a lot of concentration. Even though he was being held down by Grim’s huge stone Golem, his hands dimly glowing. It was only when Crystal’s teary eyes drifted over to him that she finally saw what he was doing, but by then it was too late.

            “You’re happiness is about to end, dragon!” he bellowed. The golem suddenly exploded into a shower of sand and Grim fell over backwards, not able to cope with the backlash in power. Once free, Merlin launched his spell at Ryu, who jumped in front of Rosette, taking the full attack between his wings. Blood dripped from his mouth as he grunted and fell, with his friends rushing in to catch him. With Nydra pulling herself from the water and Grim trying to stand, it was only his sisters who made it to catch him.
            “Ryu!” Crystal cried. Sparcy looked as if she wanted to rip Merlin in half and oddly, Rosette was smiling.
            “Ryu, thank you.” She said, “You’ve saved my life again.”
            “R-Rosette…..I…..I…” he stammered.
            “I know. I love you too.” She said, “But He can’t hurt me anymore. No one can while you’re here. You don’t have to hold back because of me.”
            “But the holy power isn’t supposed to be used for revenge.” He coughed, “I can’t”
            “This isn’t revenge anymore, Ryu.” She said, placing her hand on his nose, “This is justice.”
            “I can’t do this alone.”
            “Then ask for help”
            “Will you help me?”
            “It would be an honor.”
            “Thanks……Rosette.”

            Rosette began to glow even brighter as Ryu’s scales seemed to fade. Everyone had to shield their eyes as everything became white. When the light dimmed, they were gone. It took a moment for their eyes to adjust to the night once more, but they soon realized that it wasn’t quite night anymore. Looking upwards they saw a magnificent white dragon lighting up the night sky, and upon its back rode a dragon rider, dressed in a pure white robe and wielding an elegant bow. The dragon lowered to the surface of the water and they could all see Rosette’s determined face as she drew an arrow and steadied her bow. Merlin was frozen on the spot as he feared the divine sight. Swallowing hard and feeling fear for the first time he stepped forward, readying a spell.
            Silence echoed across the lake and it seemed that everyone had gone deaf as she released her arrow and Merlin launched his spell. The arrow erupted in white light as it sped towards its target and collided with the dark spell. Two opposing powers struck with a fierce backlash, but in the end, the arrow pushed through and hit its target. The spell dissipated, and sound returned to the world as Merlin hit the ground with a loud thump.
            Ryu set down on the shore as he still lit up the trees behind him. Approaching Merlin they found him still breathing, but with fear on his face.
            “I d-don’t want to die.” He stammered. The arrow in his chest shook as he shivered on the ground. Rosette jumped down off of Ryu’s back and stood over him.
            “Don’t you think you’ve lived long enough?” she said.
            “I have lived, b-because I’m afraid.” He sobbed, “I am afraid of death and w-what is beyond.”
            “Or is it you are afraid of where you will go?” she asked, “You’ve been to hell and your afraid to go back, right?” Merlin nodded.
            “I’m scared.” He muttered.
            “You’ve lost, Merlin. It isn’t honorable to be acting like this.” Ryu said.
            “I’ve l-lost everything.” He stammered, “Everything I have accomplished. All because of my greed!”
            “You know there is another place, besides hell.” Rosette said.
            “Heaven would reject me.”
            “Not if you repent. Turn over a new leaf and start over.” She said.
            “I have no time now.” He said, “Darkness is coming.”
            “Do you want to repent? Ask for forgiveness.”
            “I have regrets.” He said, “I wish to make things right, but I can’t see though the darkness.”
            “Then let me be your light.” She said, “Give up your power, and live under your own. Only then can you accomplish something you deserve.”
            “Take it.” He said. Again, there was another blinding light, and the three disappeared.

Categories:

0 Response for the "Dragonkin - Chapter 26: Love Conquers All"

Post a Comment